Thursday, July 13, 2017

Need help with a summer school photography class for middle schoolers.


Hey all!I started teaching a summer school photography class to middle schoolers this week. It's generally for underprivileged kids but there are a couple spoiled "brats" in here too so it seems like I've got a well mixed group.Only problem is, the curriculum they gave me was pretty bare and tends to cater towards elementary school children. We were first tasked with assembling and experimenting with one of those "Big Shot" cameras (http://ift.tt/19KAndb) and learning about photography with that. Here I ran in to the first issue: These middle schoolers are duly unimpressed with this thing. Some of them have cell phones that take way better photos than this, and they are immediately not interested.Not only that, but there are no real camera controls on this thing. Im tasked with teaching them the basics, but I can't even get in to the concept of shutter speed because this camera is full auto.So half way through this week I've already canned the curriculum and brought in my own camera gear. Finally, they were excited and entertained. I could show them focal lengths, different lenses, shutter speed, aperture, ect. Some of them took 200+ pictures and almost made a stop motion movie with all the photos they took.I'm admittedly really nervous about some of these kids running around with my Sony A7S and Canon L-series lenses, but I feel the risk is worth it for these kids to get excited about something.At this point though I'm just a little stumped on developing more exciting lessons for the day. The summer class is only a week long, and I've already planned on showing them about drone photography for their last day, but I still need some ideas for today.Any suggestions? I'd love some input! via /r/photography http://ift.tt/2sUrDxP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts